Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am police bail harressment by my wife - I am

Customer Question

I am police bail for alleged harressment by my wife - I am have been diagnosed
with severe depression due to the breakdown of my marriage by my consultant
Physiatrist - should I disclose this to the police/cps before my next interview
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate once you get my answer.
It rather depends upon what it says and what you have said within the report to the psychiatrist. If it does not harm your case then it can be a useful document to let the police see by way of their decision making process.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I redact the comments I do not wish to disclose and just confirm the medical condition diagnosed and its effects on my health ?
It starts to get a bit messy from a legal perspective when you redact such information. I would be minded to just get a letter from your treating confirming the position generally.
I hope this helps. Please rate.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

I'm afraid the answer you have received is incorrect.Your psychiatrist is under a duty of confidentiality which he will not break.The police cannot get access to this information.The only exception would be if you were under a court ordered report which is not the case from what you say.Please do not worry.

In those circumstances, on no account should this be disclosed. If you present a danger on his notes they will use it against you. If you do not on his notes then the fact you are receiving treatment alone will be used against you.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Also, you cannot redact the notes.
If you disclose that you are receiving treatment it will be used against you on the basis that you are more dangerous.
Less is more with these cases. Everything is a double edged sword.