UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

On the 6th of May I found my close... On the 6th of May I…

Customer Question
On the 6th of May...
On the 6th of May I found my close... On the 6th of May I found my close friend/neighbour age 64 dead in her property. I located her brother (the only living relative) for the police and social services as he was her next of kin as on 1992. He has refused
and declined all probate/estate and not willing to be contacted any further by the social service team as he wants nothing to do with the funeral and will not be attending. They are yet to find a will as she is a hoarder and the property is a mess so are presuming
she doesn't have one. She will be having a paupers funeral (bulk cremation and no headstone or flowers) if I can't find a way to access her money etc to provide a proper service with a headstone and flowers as I am in no financial position to do so without
the funds. The police found £4000 amongst her other belongings in her drawer and several bank accounts with funds in. It was a sudden death so she wasn't expecting it. Also I used to do her shopping, take her to her appointments and collect her high dose prescriptions.
Can her brother sign over his next of kinship/ the probable/estate to myself. Surely it's better than it going to the crown court and her not having her life marked.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/11/2015
Solicitor: Clare, Solicitor replied 3 years ago
Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Hi
Thank you for your question
My name is ***** ***** I am sorry for your loss
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first
Are there sufficient funds in the account to cover the funeral?
Will the brother speak to you?
Who owns the property?
Clare
Yes they found £4000 cash in her top drop and she hold 3 bank accounts. I've written to te brother as i have no telephone number for him. It's a housing association property. But I know she wouldn't want all her money going to the government (state) but her death was sudden she never got round to a will that I know of.
*top drawer not top drop sorry
Hi
Are there sufficient funds in any one account that would cover the bill?
(ignore the cash for now)
Clare
Yes.
Yes she does. The council is paying for a paupers cremation, no headstone and no flowers, no car nothing
Hi
The Funeral Costs can be paid directly from the Bank account as they are the first call on the Estate.
You can go and see the manager of the relevant Institution to see if they will accept the bill from you if you organise the funeral.
However they do not have to agree - and if they do not then you will not be able to achieve this unless you obtain a letter from the brother authorising you to deal with the matter
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare