How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70416
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Jo; my fiance is currently on bail, and we're expecting

Customer Question

Hi Jo; my fiance is currently on bail, and we're expecting him to be sentanced sometime in the autumn. my family in the us wants to meet him at christmas time, however. if he recieves a suspended sentence (which his solicitor believes is likely) will be be able to travel with me to the states?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is worth mentioning that he's on bail for the possession of indecent images of children; it's a habit which I was unaware of but has been going on for at least 15 years. He's cooperating fully with the investigation, and has re-interviewed to show his willingness. he clearly shows his remorse and accepts that it was an addiction for him.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are there any conditions to his bail?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No Internet, specified address to stay at night
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No unsupervised Internet, rather. He must always return to his parents house (where he was arrested for the night ).
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Where is he planning to travel?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
In principle travelling is not prohibited.
However, if he is on a suspended sentence he will need the permission of his probation officer which would not normally be withheld in these type of circumstances.
Also, he would have to declare his conviction to the authorities in the States and they may be reluctant to grant a visa given the nature of the offence.
In principle it is possible but there are hurdles to over come.
Can I clarify anything for you?