How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 34263
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have just been contacted by my ex partner who moved with

Customer Question

I have just been contacted by my ex partner who moved with our child to Brighton at the end of last October. Before then she lived in London and we were co-parenting, I had our daughter (who is 8 years old) three days a week and she had her four days a week. She had moved out of the house the previous year and I bought her out of our family home at the agreed price of �70,000. Since the move to Brighton I see my child Friday to Sunday night and for most of the school holidays.
Recently instead of sending me various bills towards the costs of looking after our daughter, I set up a standing order payment of �200 a month.
She is now asking me for �10,000 of unpaid maintenance. This is the first mention of it.And also �10,000 towards the cost of her new flat. My Earnings are just over �37,000 a year.
Does this sound right? How would this be calculated?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
My name is Clare
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
Is that figure your gross earnings for the year?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
have you any advice for me?
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
My apologies for the delay
Your liability for child maintenance is 12% of your gross income - with a two sevenths reduction to reflect the fact the time the child spends with you
You can read more here
Your ex certainly cannot claim back maintenance and she is not entitled to the lump sum that she has asked for
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details