UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

Jo There has been an allegation that i assaulted someone in my shop .Although there wer

Customer Question
Hi Jo There has been...
Hi Jo There has been an allegation that i assaulted someone in my shop .Although there were no witnesses & no camera evidence The police have asked me to come for an interview which im told will be taped .I have asked for a solicitor .Problem i have is that i was convicted of a domistic assault very recently & have just done 80hrs comm service ..I feel though that as the alleged victim had hurt himself by overbalancing falling down some stairs trying to throw a punch at me .I even helped him up & wiped some blood off his face .I did not strike him at any time or act aggresively. I should not have a case to answer .The dispute was over some deposit money (£200) Which i gave him back because i felt sorry for him,for getting hurt ,He walked out of my premises unaided
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
6/7/2015
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this please?
I am asking (AS per original question) should i have a case to answer .As there are no witnesses or camera evidence .I am claiming he fell down some steps while trying to hit me .I guess hes saying i attacked him .I would not think that there is any medical evidence to support his claim .I have been asked though to come for a police taped interview under caution .So i am concerned
especially as i am going through a divorce (my wife left me taking all my retirement savings £230 Grand ) & ive recently been convicted of a minor domestic assault .So this will not go down well
If that is your only question then there is a case to answer. He says you assaulted him. He is maintaining that I presume. That is evidence and there is therefore a case to answer.
Whether it will be enough to convict is another matter but there is a case to answer.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Yes please .You can clarify .If i stick to my side of events .That is that he fell downstairs while trying to strike me & he is saying i assaulted him, What is the likelyhood of a conviction given that there is no further evidence .Does the CPS take it to court in these circumstances .
They will probably prosecute that. I'm afraid they are not going to accept that he fell backwards without any pressure from you.
No im saying he fell forward having tried to land a punch on me which i side stepped & avoided .I was one step down so he was punching down which meant he overbalanced
I'm really sorry but Im afraid they are likely to prosecute unless he is wholly incredible.
Thanks for the info .Thats worrying .Theres one more point .The £200 that he said he wanted .I gave it to him as i said that i felt sorry that hed hurt himself . That must stand for something .Why would i give him the money if i was angry enough to hit him .If they do prosecute though thats still not getting a conviction ! But id rather not be on bail etc.Seems hard that they would prosecute though when they possibly would not have a good case.
People are prosecuted all the time on weak evidence I'm afraid. In particular for domestics and sexual offences.
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister