UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

Good morning. I was taken in custody on suspicion of assault

Customer Question
to my stepson and maybe...
Good morning. I was taken in custody on suspicion of assault to my stepson and maybe wife. I am on bail up to the 11th June. My wife and stepson far as I know went to police to drop all charges but the same day police rang me extending my bail up to the 3rd of July as the officer told me they were ordered further investigations. What to do as we as a family run 2 businesses and is being very difficult to manage without me there.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
I was also told that on the arrest I was also arrested on suspicions of drink driving as police had a look at my home cctv recordings but I was never driving over the drinking limit (was just footage of my going out and coming in 6 minutes later. I drunk after that on a binge situation and I wasn't drinking on a daily basis. Binge drinking happen a few times in the past as I was trying to chill out (instead of seeing my GP and get help for anxiety and stress as myself and family run 2 businesses at once and sometimes is very difficult and stressful and the amount of working hours very high; most weeks over 70 hours).
Far as I am aware and using third parties to contact my wife and stepson, I know that both went to the police station on the 4th of June around 08:00PM to drop all charges. But police called my where I am staying at the moment to let me know that my bail was extended up to the 3rd of July. Please help me. Thank you
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/5/2015
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
What would you like to know about this ?
What shall I do as bail have been extended after my family dropped all charges and I don't even have a charges sheet. Plus, a police officer rang me yesterday at 10:20 PM to let me know just that my bail has been extended. The lady acting as third party where I am staying at the moment spoken with my wife and stepson and they told her that they have been at the police about 10:00 PM same day, dropped charges and signed and after that this police officer rang me to tel only that my bail was extended. Please help me. Thank you
What are you hoping to do?
Obviously there are no magic wands that will make this go away. There is no action that you can take that will erase the entire situation.
I know from the third party that my wife and stepson dropped everything but police rang me to tel me that my bail changed from 11th june to the 17th of july and I still not allowed to visit my family house or businesses. My wife told the third party that they are in difficulties because I am the first pillar of the businesses and she cannot run them properly on her own. So what am I entitled to do and have as a question of legal rights and human rights ? If the charges have been dropped I should be taken off of bail and free to return home and to the businesses. Please tel me. Thanks
No.
If this is a domestic then they cannot just drop charges. I'm afraid that the police have had enough of women wasting their time. They have long since had a policy of summonsing reluctant witnesses. Sometimes they don't but clearly they have a mind to do so here.
It is no longer as simple as phoning the police as saying that you want to drop charges. You cannot drop charges in the UK anyway. All you can do is say that you dont want to give evidence and after you have wasted thousands of taxpayer's money that doesn't always meet with approval.
It is not your fault. It is hers. She has made this allegation and has to face the consequences.
I'm sorry if that is bad news but you have to face the truth I'm afraid.
Ultimately if they just dont attend the Crown will throw their hand in but that doesn't happen now without the time waster being the subject of the consequences of their allegations.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
Ok, my bail has been extended up to the 3rd July but still not charged with anything. My wife and stepson went and signed with the police they withdraw their statements, so after they did that yesterday evening around 9:30 pm the police officer rang me to let me know that my bail was extended. What is happening from your point of view?
They are probably going to summons them.
They might not be you cannot rely on it. Most likely they will summons.
Far as I know from the lady acting as third party they went to the police and signed they withdrawn their statements as no charges were applied to myself. I don't know why you're saying that they probably go to summons them. Could you explain in more detail please? Thanks
Well, as I have already said really.
All she has done is sign a retraction statement. She cannot drop charges.
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister