UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

I recently found my self in a fight and pulled another womans…

Customer Question
Hi I recently found my...
Hi I recently found my self in a fight and pulled another womans hair due to feeling threatened by what she was saying to me..i have never been convicted before or been in a situatuon like this before where it has become physical however i was cautioned 3 years ago for throwing a handbag although it wasn't intended to and didnt hit anyone it was to distract a situation. could you advise the possibilities of what may happen based on this information please
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
Because i felt threatened by the womans words i was the one who made the first physical move which was extremely stupid of me
5/27/2015
Solicitor: Alice H, Solicitor/Partner replied 2 years ago
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help with your question today.
Have you been interviewed by the police about this already? If so, what did you tell them?
I am not sure that its even been reported but feel i should inform the police of what has happened? Would this be the best option?
Best not to say or do anything for now.
If the police want to speak to you about they will be in touch.
But I see no reason to create an unnecessary situation for yourself.
Worst case scenario you might get another caution if you admit the assault or, if the matter did go to court, you'd probably get a fine.
Based on your description it sounds like self-defence anyway. The other person might have decided not to bother reporting the incident to the police.
I understand thank you may i ask in regards ***** ***** defence i pulled her hair first regrettably as i felt extremely threatened by what she was saying and pretty vulnerable due to having consumed alcohol..usually i would just walk away but i felt that i may have been attacked my self and seemed i acted too quickly much to my regret but obviously what words were exchanged is my word against hers where could this possibly leave me? Also if the police wanted to speak with me would it be likely they would just arrest me at home or work or would they ask me to go in voluntarily first?i appreciate you cant say 100% but i am extremely worried about them coming to my place of work as i feel if it has been reported and cctv shown it will no doubt show i made the first physical move which only shows half of the story as sadly no voices will be able to be heard. thanks
This is not the most serious or heinous crime that I have seen so I think coming to your work place would be extreme. Also they may just invite you in for interview by appointment and either interview you on a voluntary basis or if you are arrested you'll probably only be there a short time. It's difficult to comment on self defence without looking at the CCTV myself but I guess two things come to mind (a) why didn't you just walk away (b) why not push her away (defensive) instead of pull her hair (offensive).
I understand and appreciate what you are saying...i can only describe my actions as sheer panic and again i feel alcohol had a part to play in my actions also but i understand that is no excuse for been offensive as appose to defensive as you stated...i had asked her to go away twice then as she started swearing and been verbally abusive i just went into panic mode..i was attacked over the christmas period from behind and i think that played a huge part in why i was so paranoid instead of walking away but again i know that doesnt change the fact I physically held onto her hair and ended in somewhat of a scuffle with one another. again i know you can not say 100% but what do you thinknthe worst possible outcome may be?
Fair enough.
But this unlikely to result in anything more than a police caution or worst case a fine at court.
Fair enough.
because they obviously can not hear anything on CCTV would they even consider classing it as defending myself from acting physically and not using the best defensive actions i possibly could have done resulting in it becoming more of a scuffle with one another?.Also this was not in my home town if it has been reported how long usually do they take to contact you and will they ask me why i havent come forward first?
Difficult to say on how long this would take.
The police have to get the CCTV, try and identify you and then come and speak to you.
It could be a few days or a few weeks. Impossible to say really - and as I said before this is unlikely to be a priority for them.
Ok.
Thank you for your time and advice
No problem. Please remember to take a moment to rate my answer. Happy to discuss further if needed.
Alice H
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner