How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 9118
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been served a claim by a solicitor in the UK

Customer Question

hello, I have been served a claim by a solicitor in the UK seeking payment of fees which i disputed over a failed mediation (the solicitor failed to give me an estimate of his - very inflated - costs prior to taking £3000 of my money on account and claiming to have spent it. He also provided in my view, a bad service). As such when he did give me an estimate i was under huge pressure having sunk money into his firm. Plus, his costs came out at around £16,000 which was £5000 above what he estimated. I paid him £7000 but now he has served a claim on me 'out of jurisdiction' for under £10,000 (plus costs and interest). I now live in the USA on a semi diplomatic (G4) visa and was previously in Switzerland. The mediation took place in the UK. I am wondering whether i cant challenge jurisdiction because it is not easy for me to travel to the UK as i have kids etc. Do you have any advice please?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.
May I ask if you have previously raised a formal complaint in relation to the fees please?
If so did they provide you with a formal response?