UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

My son who is 15 has been arrested with a small (probably less than 1/4 gram). Amount of c

Customer Question
occaine. He used my phone...
My son who is 15 has been arrested with a small (probably less than 1/4 gram). Amount of c occaine. He used my phone to arrange it as I was with Him at the time but he said he was sorting cigarettes. My car is seen. Where he bought it from on CCTV but I'm not doing anything it show my son giving the guy money which I though were for cigarettes. It's his first offence, so what will he likely get. Also how will the police look at me - he was arrested 2 days ago but I've heard nothing yet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Law
5/12/2015
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 2 years ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How can I help with this please?
Sorry for the delay.
Hi question one is what will my likely get from the police, a caution? Can I be implicated in any way due to been on CCTV?
Are you known to the police?
Are you likely to be recognised?
No but my son has told them he was with me, plus he used my phone to text to arrange!
He was arrested on Sunday as my ex wife took the stuff into the police station! I can't find out what's going on now though
Has he been arrested for simple possession or possession with intent to supply?
I think simple possession it was a small amount, my ex wife us saying that I got it for him, he got it and paid for it.
If it is a first offence and he accepts simple possession then they would probably just caution him.
In terms of whether or not they would act against you, it is possible they could. It depends what evidence they have. This is possession with intent to supply to a minor and you are in a position of trust. You do need to be aware of that.
Whether they would get a conviction is another matter. Seems to me that whatever your wife says or does not say on the point, she cannot say whether you did this or not. Only your son can give that evidence and he may well not be wiling to do so.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo
My son has made a statement, videoed and not mentioned me in anything, the police phoned yesterday to say that he is been treated as a criminal, ie possesition, not as a witness or coerecer. My e. Wife however, convinced that I had something to do with the episode has. Not refused me access to see my 3 children, I had a call from the police yesterday warning me against harassment!! Which I haven't done by the way
They won't act against you as far as the drugs go.
She has made an allegation of harassment so stop contacting her.
You will need to ask another question about the family matter as I don't do that type of work but you will get contact in the end. She won't get away with this.
Can my son retract his statement now if his minds poisoned by me ex to say I was involved? Or if he does will the police look at it in a bed light, false evidence, wasting time etc
But he hasn't said anything about you?
Yes, he can retract but it is not that simple. They may summons him and if they think you have put pressure on him they could arrest you for much more serious offences although it is fair to say that is not likely.
Best to leave it all where it is and await the outcome, at the end of the day he has foolishly been caught with drugs and will pay the price, however small.
Yes, and also if he is 15 then he can see as much of you as he likes whether his mother likes it or not.
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister