Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
11292137

Is it illegal to enter a competition on behalf of someone else,

Is it illegal to enter a competition on behalf of someone else, with written consent?
Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to help you with this today. Please bear with me if I ask for more information.

It is not actually illegal in most cases, provided the other person is 18. However, it may breach the competition rules.
If you let me have the full background, I can probably expand my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks

I'm considering setting up a service, where we enter competitions on behalf of our club members with written permission from the client/member. All competition rules will be checked to ensure that it doesn't mention about not entering on behalf of anyone else, so that should be fine.

Just wanted to ensure I wasn't breaking any laws by doing this.

As I said, you are not breaking any laws that I am aware of because all the regulation revolves around the companies running the competitions and not those entering apart from of course, the fact that the legal age for gambling in the UK is 18.
Anyone over 16 can buy a lottery ticket.
Competitions have their own rules.
If you are doing this in bulk, you would be as well to make sure that it does not break the individual competition rules. Some competitions do preclude third-party entries and you will find that in their terms and conditions, they will say that the judge’s decision is final