How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was owed just over £600 from a insurance company for a payout

This answer was rated:

I was owed just over £600 from a insurance company for a payout from a car that was written off that i owned. I was hospitalized for a long period of time and was never able to chase up this payment from them. Do to a flood in my house I have lost all the paperwork connected with this matter. I can not remember the name of the company or any details about the insurance company. Is there any way I can chase this up, find out which insurance company was dealing with it and find out where my cheque went to?
How long ago was this?
Do you know the registration number of the carthat was written off?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

about 3 or 4 years ago. It could be a simple case of the cheque being lost in the post. I don't remember the registration unfortunately. All my important paperwork was destroyed when my house flooded.

Short of writing to every company that does motor insurance in
the UK (something solicitors have to do from time to time!) And depending on
how long ago this was, all the information on insurance and who insures what
with regard to motor vehicles is held by the Motor Insurers Bureau on the Motor
Insurance Database.

I don't know how long they keep their records for but I would
imagine that it was certainly for six years.

I would certainly right to the Motor Insurers Bureau MID in the
first instance ask who it was insured with and if they have the policy number.
If that comes up trumps, you are home and dry. If they have no records, then...

After that, I'm afraid that if they have no records, (and indeed,
even during the last six years they may be incomplete) there is no alternative
but to write all the insurance companies who deal with motor insurance and hope
that you get a reply. You will need the date of the insurance and the date of
registration number of the vehicle. I note that you say you don't have the registration number of the vehicle and that could present a major problem because everything is indexed by that.


By all means try but I'm afraid that I wouldn't be holding my breath.

Stuart J and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you