UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

Good Evening, We jointly own a house and Im having problems

Good Evening, We jointly own a...
Good Evening,

We jointly own a house and I'm having problems with my husband. Probably will go down the route of getting a divorce from him. What is the best way of me to protect my house from him selling it? I have three children aged 8, 13 & 12. Can I get an injunction on the house so that he cannot sell it?
10/30/2013
James Mather
is the house in joint names?
how long have you been married for?
is there any allegation of violence?
what makes you think that he will sell the house or try to?
how much is the house worth?
How much mortgages outstanding?
Can I have as much background detail as possible please? Thank you
Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you.
If the house is held in joint names then in fact your husband cannot sell it without your agreement
If the house is not actually owned in joint names then you will need to Register your Matrimonial Home Rights - which is easy to do.
Again your husband cannot see the house without your agreement - or a Court Order - and it is in fact highly unlikely that you will have to leave the property at all.
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Clare
Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Clare
Clare
Clare, Solicitor