How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70207
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was sentenced to 6 months in prison. I want to leave the

This answer was rated:

I was sentenced to 6 months in prison. I want to leave the Country for a week months. Am I able to do this while on licence?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Do you have the permission of your probation officer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not have a probation officer as I was sentenced to less than 12 months.

But you are released on licence so you should be under the supervision of probation?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Well i don't have a probation officer that I go see. I am currently on HDC until the end of the month. I don't have to go see a probation officer and I only have licence conditions attached to my tag.


That is all I need to know. You are on HDC and so unfortunately you are required to be at your designated curfew location during the hours of curfew. If you moved abroad then you could not.

You can apply to vary an address to the Prison Governor. It would be irresponsible of me to tell you that the chances are high. They will generally allow it in cases where, for instance, a person can no longer live at the address in question. I've even seen cases where variations for Christmas Day so that people could seek family were refused.

After HDC curfew comes to an end then your options will be greater. You will be on standard licence conditions. That does require that you keep in touch with your supervising officer although we all know what that means given the resources of probation but most importantly you can't travel outside the UK without the permission of your supervising officer.

That is not to say that permission would be refused but it should be sought to avoid a recall.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since I was sentenced to less than 12 months I do not have a supervising probation officer as I don't need to attend. How would I find out who this is?

There will be a supervising officer. They just won't be doing anything. Somebody will be nominated in some way.

Just call probation and ask them.
Jo C. and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thank you