How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am grateful to read this information. Our wills were done

This answer was rated:

I am grateful to read this information. Our wills were done in 1999 and we have moved since so I am wondering if we need to change the address as of course part of the will referring to "my property" now has an old address.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

When did you change address?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We actually moved in 1999 just a couple of months after doing the wills.Possibly July 99

It depends on the wording of the will as to
whether you need to change the address or not.

If it is simply your address of where you lived
at the time you made the will, it does not need to be changed. Never do a
codicil to a will because they get lost and cause more problems than they
solve. It is just as cheap to do a new will as it is to do a codicil to amend
an existing one. We actually banned fee earners in our practice from doing them
on the basis that the new will cost exactly the same and caused no problems.

So having established that if you simply moved
house, you do not need to change the will order a new will it is then necessary
to look at the provisions in the will.

If it says that you leave your house to someone
it means the house referred to in the will and that means that you do need to
get a new will done because you no longer own that house

If it says I leave the house I live at the date
of my death, you don't need to change it or do a new one

any solicitor will usually review your will for a
nominal fee of about £50 although some will do it for nothing. You will only be
charged in that case if you need to do a new one.

Does that answer the question? Can I assist
further or answer any specific queries?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions
after rating my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at
all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to
read and ask for further clarification.


PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and
weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only
type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not
hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but
sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't make
sense. It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.

Stuart J and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you