How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Publican and hold the Premises Licence and also a Personal

This answer was rated:

I am a Publican and hold the Premises Licence and also a Personal Licence. I know I have the Right to ban people from entering the premises but there are some exceptions to this rule.
Obviously the Emergency Services are permitted but what about a Bailiff. Do some have more authority than a normal debt collector if so how does this affect my Rights and Responsibilities as a Licence Holder
Thank you
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Could you explain your situation a little more please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A bailiff may arrive to collect the outstanding portion of the Business Rates. Do I have the authority to ask him to leave and if he refuses can I call the police and have him removed for a potential Breach of The Peace.

Please be aware this is not an attempt to avoid paying but the amount is very high and I am a small business. I have asked the Council if we could work out a payment plan but they say they cant do anything because it is in the hands of the bailiff

I just want to know my legal position as a Licence Holder

The situation with bailiffs is extremely clear.

You can refuse them entry but once they have
entered, they are actually entitled to break in if you refuse them entry the
second time.

They can climb in through an open window or an
open back door and once they are in, they can then break internal doors and
locks and cupboards and drawers.

If you refuse entry to Bailiff and they cause a
problem and insist that they can come in, call the police because they cannot.

The difficulty you face is that this is a public
house and the only way you can refuse bailiffs entry is to keep the doors
closed which might not be particularly practical from a business point of view.

Once the bailiffs are a (because the door is
open) you cannot ask them to leave because they have the right to be there and
take goods to sell to recover whatever money is owed.

All you can do is try to negotiate with the
Bailiff may or may not be possible or practical. The bailiff will usually be
satisfied if you give them at least a large chunk of money when they visit and
make an offer to pay the rest over a short period of time, days or weeks, not

Does that answer the question? Can I assist
further or answer any specific queries?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions
after rating my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at
all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to
read and ask for further clarification.


PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and
weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only
type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not
hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but
sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't make
sense. It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.

Stuart J and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you