How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi there, my husband is an ameircan citerzin thats here because

This answer was rated:

Hi there, my husband is an ameircan citerzin that's here because he's in the American Air Force, he got a DUI here the end of 2006 and can he travel to England to visit me from America. reason I ask I because he's getting out of the Air Force soon?

What sentence did he receive please?


Customer: replied 3 years ago.
240 hours Community service and lost licence for a year. Thank you

Drafting your answer now. 5 mins.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thank you

Thanks for your patience.

In the circumstances I would suggest that he applies for a visitors visa before he travels here. He should apply for a family visitors visa. This is because of the conviction but also because he is visiting you his wife. The united kingdom border agency may be a little more suspect because they might think that it suppose to enter in order to stay permanently with you.

He will have to declare the conviction in his visitors visa application form. Defence would be considered "Spent" under uk law 7 years from the date of conviction. It well that for the considered spent by the end of the year.

He should disclose and explain the offence in his application and his covering letter. He should give details of his sentence and also is rehabilitation. If possible, he should also submit letters of character reference find persons of authority who made him and can speak to his good character.

He will also have to give details of his continuing life in the united states in order to satisfy the united kingdom border agency that he is not going to attempt to stay here permanently with you and will leave before the expiry of the visa.

Provided that he does this, he should have his visa approved and be free to come here and visit you.

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question

Kind regards

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But online on a legal website it's saids if u haven't spent time in prison it's spent after 5 years?? Under the rehabilitation act..


I will answer at 9

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, you should have seen in the other qusetion that you posted that I mentioned I should have said that the spent period for the offence is onnly 5 years.

It is therefore spent, but it does not change my other advice. He shoudl still disclose and mitigate it in the way I originally described.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok thank you
You're welcome