How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello there, I trust this finds you well. I have planned

This answer was rated:

Hello there,

I trust this finds you well.

I have planned to pursue post graduate studies in UK and I have received student visa (tier-4), but I still didn’t go. Meanwhile, I am applying for a company based in UK and I am hoping to received their offer soon. Do you think my visa application as tier 2 will be affected because I have student visa? Pls note that I still didn’t go to UK.

Thanks in advance

When did you receive your student visa?

Why didn't you go?

Did you inform the UKBA that you decided not to take up your student visa?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom,


I didn't phrase my question correctly. Let me give you more details, I have intiated an online application for student visa and my appointment to submit the documents is due next week. The course will start mid october


Now, If I get the student visa and later I recieve the job offer and decide to go for it, can I do that? Is there anything in specific that I need to do?


Thanks in advance


Is it correct to say then that you intend to take up your student visa and attend the UK to study on it but ONLY if you do not receive a job offer which sponsors you for a work visa?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well yes...


Thanks for your patience.

If you proceed with the application and then get a job offer and decide instead to apply for another work visa, then you should still be okay.

You would have to write to the UKBA to advise them that you do not wish to proceed with the application and are withdrawing it. You should explain that you thought it unlikely that you would receive a job offer but that now you have you consider that applying for a work visa is the better option for you.

Provided there is nothing in your student visa application which could later be construed as deception if you are successful with a job offer then you will be fine. I should think it pretty unlikely that there is anything like that in your application though.

You would lose the application fee though of course.

If you were to then apply for a work visa I would explain the cirumstances in your covering letter, which would essentially be that your previous application for a student visa was not frivolous and that you did genuinely intend to take up studies at the time you made the application because you thought it unlikely that a work visa application would become a viable option for you.

Provided that you do this I would expect your application for a work visa to be unaffected by your previous application for a student visa.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thanks Tom. Ok I am afraid I've given you the wrong impression, I genuinely intend to study in the UK, and I will do so. It is simply that my employer gave me the option to transfer to our branch in the UK and pursue this course on part-time basis. I am only asking because I haven’t made a decision to take their offer and I would like to have both options open.


Based on what I have mentioned above, is there anything else you think I should know? If not, I will happily rate your response.




I think in these circumstances you shoudl be fine. Provided you advise the UKBA appropriately what you have decided (when you do) then you shoudl be okay.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you