How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, i am a non tea national recently married to a self employed

This answer was rated:

Hi, i am a non tea national recently married to a self employed eea national. We want to apply for a registration certificate and residence card and want to know given the horror stories, whether it would be best to use a solicitor .

Because you are married to a european economic area national there is no possibility that you will be deported. So, if your main motivation to instruct a solicitor was because you thought you might be deported then you don't have to worry about this.

If your partner has full documentary records of the self employment then it should be reasonably straight forward for you to apply without instructing solicitor.

If you are already working and there is no with that your employer me terminate your employment because of your immigration status then there is no harm in attempting to apply yourself because you can simply replying if you get it wrong.

If you need to get your residence card desperately in order to prove to employers that you have a right to work then in order to guarantee that you get this relatively quickly it might be more sensible to instruct a solicitor to act on your behalf.

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above. If you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

Kind regards

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thanks tom.

my main reason for asking is that while i ve been here for 2years on a student visa,my wife joined me permanently in the UK in june and has been self employed sice then.

We got married in august and im just worried that it may be regarded as a marriage of convenience.


You will have to prove the length of your relationship. I would start by working at a time line from the date that we first met each otherand the counting all the times that you have spoken and met. On each occasion you should think about whether there is any existing documentary evidence to show the times that you have met.

I woodsend make sure that you memorize all these times to ensure that your respective understandings of your relationship both accord precisely with the other and so corroborate each other.

If you are able to do this then you should still be okay. Please remember to rate my answer


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you