JGM
JGM, Solicitor
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
31090051

My best friend James M. Bruce died in Scotland in 1975 at the

My best friend James M. Bruce died in Scotland in 1975 at the age of 26. He was a US citizen born in Wisconsin and was taking courses at the University of Edinburgh at the time of his untimely death. He was returned for burial to his home in Wisconsin. Upon information from the cemetery website I found the following information concerning his death: Death was caused by acute carbon monoxide poisoning. He was found dead in a stationary motor car 100 yards south of the Drumshoreland Crossroads in Broxburn, West Lothian, Scotland.
My question is: how do I find information about the details of my friend's death..specifically whether death was a result of a malfunction of his car which overtook him or whether he took his own life. After 38 years we continue to seek closure for those who really cared for this exceptional young man. Two weeks before his death I received a letter from him saying that he was planning on returning home. It was a shock to receive the news of his death...we were college buddies and very close..like brothers.
I would appreciate any help in this matter. Are there no public records available for online viewing concerning such situations? Thanks for your help. Craig
Thank you for your question.

There are no public record available for viewing online. You would have to contact the Procurator Fiscal in Edinburgh to see if any paper records, notably the post mortem report, may still be available.

The request would have to be made by family.

Happy to discuss further.

Please remember to leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.