How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, just wanted to check, as a German citizen, living in

This answer was rated:


just wanted to check, as a German citizen, living in the UK (I came here a year ago, registered for self employment, applied for a registration certificate) but also in general, is it 1000% problem free to travel between the UK and Germany (and France, in between!) with a German personal ID card?

My worry is just, that there might be some uneducated person on the booth, that has never seen a German ID card or something, but I guess, then you could always ask for his supervisor...

Otherwise, I would use the travel passport. However the id card would be more comfortable to use, since it fits in my wallet!

Many thanks

Is your id card within the validity period? Ie. It hasn't expired. .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yep, it is still valid, it is the old version, however, they introduced a new version in 2010, that is in credit card format. The one I have (which was given out from 1987 til 2010) is a bit larger.


However, I suppose that that format is probably more familiar to people then the 2010 version...


Thanks for your patience.

Yes, in that case the card is valid. This means that you can use the card on it’s own in order to travel between countries within the European Union.

Because those countries also have similar provisions they will be aware of your rights under the card.

It’s important to note that this only gives you rights to enter other EU countries. It does not apply to countries outside the EU. If you wish to enter countries outside of the EU then you must do so only using your German passport and applying, if necessary, for an appropriate form of visa from the country that you wish to visit.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you