How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Senior Partner Your Own Question
Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 13325
Experience:  30 years experience in business law and related topics such as employment law
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Senior Partner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I am a builder in a long running dispute over money owed

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am a builder in a long running dispute over money owed to me by a Client
we have been to Court a number of times at which both my Client and myself have represented our selves. We now have a full day Court Hearing in front of a Judge to settle the matter on the 19th of this month. The Client is now saying she is thinking about employing a Barrister, can she do this at this late stage ?
Thank you for your question. I am afraid the answer to this is quite simple. Yes she can hire legal representation at any point in the process. It is a matter of choice and budget whether a litigant has representation. If this is small claim she may not be able to recover the costs from you if she wins but that is up to her. She may of course be bluffing because there are not many barristers that take instructions direct and she may need a solicitor as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Thanks for the answer

the amount is 10000.00 + as the Court date is the 19th of this month and its been going on for nearly 18 months what I don't want is a Solicitor turning up asking for an adjournment so he has time to study the case.

We have already had two Court Hearings adjourned. If that happens can I object on the grounds that my Client has had plenty of time to instruct Solicitors to act on her behalf ?

If the court date has been fixed for some time and the case has been going on for a long time then i do not think the court would allow an adjournment and you could certainly object
Senior Partner and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you