How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 34264
Experience:  family solictor with 25 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My mothers will left everything to my sister & I after some

This answer was rated:

My mother's will left everything to my sister & I after some minor beneficiaries to my late brother's children & others. My sister is considering a Deed of Variation to split her half with my brother's children. I am horrified by her suggestion which goes against my mother's stated wishes both as written into the will & discussed with me when I queried her decision when she was alive. Mum felt that as the children did not respect their late father there was no reason for them to benefit from him via her will. Clearly what my sister does with her share is entirely up to her but I am disgusted that she seeks to rewrite into my mother's will a situation which was so totally against what she wanted. I consider it totally disrespectful to my mother (We are Jewish so this is, in my opinion, a sin against the commandments). Would my consent to the Deed be needed? My sister says she does not want the children to see the money coming to them from her bank account. They have already received the small amounts mum did leave them so they are fully aware that mum did not leave them anything so I don't understand her attitude. My sister & I are joint executors.

When was the will written?
Your Sister cannot complete a Deed of Variation without your agreement and you are fully entitled to withhold that consent since you feel so strongly about it
However she is entitled to direct that her inheritance is paid to whomsoever she things fit and you can do nothing to prevent that I am afraid
I hope that this is of assistance - please ask if you need further details
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

But would that be changing the actual will as it stands or would it just be a distribution of her share?

Even a Deed of Variation does not actually Change the Written Will - it just re-distributes the assets in a different way.
However as I said this cannot be done without your agreement.
Your sister can however direct that her share is paid in any way she chooses
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 34264
Experience: family solictor with 25 years experience
Clare and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you