How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joanne M Your Own Question
Joanne M
Joanne M, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 264
Experience:  LLB (Hons), LPC
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Joanne M is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have seperated from my wife and have a small boy. She is

This answer was rated:

I have seperated from my wife and have a small boy. She is living in the house and I am paying half the mortgage and have done for past year. I have also paid for past year the joint loan for the car which she is still driving. A joint loan for house improvements etc which I am still paying What are my rights regarding this loan as its joint but coming out of my bank and I don't have the car or house just the debt?

What do you hope to achieve?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

She keep asking for more and I can't give. I am happy to pay the morgage but not a car that she is driving and I am paying for. SHe can keep the car as long as she takes the payments. I have told her to sell it and pay the balance off and keep the remainder to put towards another car. Not a chance as I am paying it she will keep as it is


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
No answer received
You are not liable for the mortgage or the bills of a house that you do not live in although you remain liable to the lender if she stops paying.
You are therefore not liable to pay the mortgage or even half of the mortgage.
The same applies with regard to the loans and she has the benefit of everything that came from the loans, you are not liable to pay them but, once again, you remain liable to the lender if she doesn’t pay them.
You have a liability to pay child maintenance at the CSA rate and there may be a liability for spousal maintenance depending on what you both earn.
Can I answer any specific points or clarify anything?
Joanne M and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you