Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Hi Ben, I hope all is well with you. I got a letter from

Hi Ben,

I hope all is well with you.

I got a letter from a company called CAPITA (On the behalf of the home office UK Border and agency) the letter stated that the UK border agency told them I no longer have the right to remain in country. I should start making arrangements to go back home.First of all I was born here so the letter is ridiculous and obviously a mistake. I just wanted to know from a legal perspective have I got any grounds. Eg can I say this letter has caused me emotional distress, defamautory character. Any advice is much appreciated

Ben Jones :

Hello, has any further action actually been taken, or was this just something sent in error that was not followed up?

Customer:

I imagine it was sent to me in error

Customer:

but that is not acceptable right?

Customer:

I was born here, so I should not be getting letters like that

Customer:

The letter stressed and freaked me out

Customer:

So I take it I don't have a stand from a legal point of view?

Ben Jones :

I agree it is not ideal to receive such letters but mistakes do happen and it does not mean that you are automatically able to take legal action and receive anything in return. In this case, you have not suffered any losses as a result, no further action was taken and this is obviously something that was sent in error. This is not defamation as it was not made sufficiently public and also the law will not compensate you for the shock or distress of reading the contents of the letter. You can write back to the company that sent this and correct their claims, asking you not to contact you again, but that is all you can do at present. If the letters continue then it may eventually amount to harassment but it is too early to treat it as such at present.

Customer:

Ok, thank you for this