How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I believe my son needs to be tested for dyslexia and dyspraxia,

This answer was rated:

I believe my son needs to be tested for dyslexia and dyspraxia, his school do not agree. I also think he needs to see an educational psychologist as he has problems with his attitude to learning. Again, the school does nor agree.

My son is aged 10 and about to go into his final year of junior school.

What options do I have to compel the school to take my requests seriously and act on them?

If the school refuses what rights of appeal do I have?

If a this fails what would my options then be?


My name isXXXXX and I am a Solicitor based in London. I'm happy to help with your question today.

You need to obtain a statement of special educational needs. This is done through your local council.

If they refuse to do this the decision must be given in writing. Also they must explain how your child's needs will be met inside and outside school.

You can appeal to the special educational needs and disability tribunal if you disagree with the council’s decisions.
Before you appeal, see if you can discuss the problem with your school or the council.

A free mediation service in your area can help you do this.

The service will bring you, the school and the council together to see if you can work out a solution.

You don’t have to try this, but if you do it won’t affect your right to appeal.

If the council will not budge you can appeal to the tribunal whose details are below:

First-tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability) Mowden Hall
Staindrop Road
[email protected]
Telephone: 01325 392 760
Fax: 01325 391 080
or 01325 391 310

There is an appeal form which you must complete. This can be obtained from the tribunal if you e-mail them using the details shown above.

As the tribunal hearing is similar to a court hearing and the issues can be complex, it would be advisable to obtain legal advice before lodging an appeal.

Alice H and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
I forgot to mention. I can send you a link for the appeal form should you need. Please remember to rate my answers in the meantime so that I am credited for my time.
Alice H and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you could send me a link to the form (as offered), that would be very useful.

Here is the form for you:




The link I sent you doesn't seem to be working.

I'm attaching a link to the Ministry of Justice website with the forms and guidance. The SEN appeal form is the fifth form down.

Alice H and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you