How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 33008
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have recently had our warehouse burgled and are about to make our insurance claim. Our

This answer was rated:

We have recently had our warehouse burgled and are about to make our insurance claim. Our insurance policy is in the name of our main company but we actually have a second company that we run from the same premises. £2500 of the stock that was taken was actually owned by this second company at the time of the robbery (we import this stock from the USA and some of it gets sold to our main company and the rest is sold to other businesses). I'm concerned that as all of the paperwork for this stock are in the other company's name, that we may not be able to claim for it. I dont know if commercial business and contents insurance covers what is essentially third party stock. Its been suggested to me that we could just retrospectively invoice the stock to the main company on a date before the burglary took place, but I'm concerned in case that would be considered fraud. Please could you advise us on the best course of action?
Thanks for your question. Please remember to click ACCEPT once you get my answer.

That would be usually considered fraud, particularly with respect to the timing of such a transaction and the simple fact that it is not technically correct. You will need to check the actual terms of the insurance - but the second company may well have a claim against the first insured company and this may be covered in the insurance in any event. Hence the need to go through the actual wording of the policy.

Please press ACCEPT
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thanks. I cant find any reference in the insurance terms to third party owned stock or contents. How would a third party claim normally be made?

Normally they would either seek you insurance details and go direct to your insurer or set out the claim in writing to you and you forward to your insurer for them to deal

Please press ACCEPT
Thomas Judge and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok, thank you.