How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70292
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question: A branch from one of the trees on my land overhangs

This answer was rated:

Question: A branch from one of the trees on my land overhangs a neighbours land. I understand that he can legally cut down the offending branch to the boundary and must offer to return the branch and trimmings to me. However I do not want the offending branch or trimmings returned to me. Can I legally get him to dispose the branch and trimmings himself ?

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is there any reason you want to do this please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

a) because the branches are large and I suspect he may want to lop off more branches and may be another neighbour may want to do likewise and I would have a lot of material to get rid of.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972 :

I do not want to dispose of the branches myself as they are large .and there is every possibility he may cut down other large branches

Thank you.

I suppose you could refuse to accept them back but there are two real problems with that.

The first is just practical. I'm not immediately sure how you could prevent him retuning them to you. He only has to leave it outside your front door or throw it over the fence. I suppose you could return it to him but that could go on a long time.

The second is that, unfortunately, even if he does dispose of them you are still liable for his costs in doing so. There may be no costs but if any are incurred he has a claim against you.

I'm very sorry of this is bad news.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you