How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7618
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an under18 foreign student schooling in Wales, UK and

This answer was rated:

I am an under18 foreign student schooling in Wales, UK and had in June this year signed an assured shorthold tenancy agreement with a private landlord through his agent for a period of 12 months. I am supposed to pay on a monthly basis. Having paid for two month now, I decided to end the agreement at the end of this month.

What are my rights? Am I legally correct to end the agreement?

Is there a break clause giving you termination rights?

Are you under 18 years of age? If so who signed the contract?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX


The break clause is about when to end the agreement. It says that if the tenant fails to pay rent 21 days after rent is due the contract is taken to have ended and the Landlord can take possession of the room.


Please find attached the scan copy of the agreement.

Attachment: 2013-08-17_073036_agreement_1.pdf

Attachment: 2013-08-17_073235_agreement_2.pdf

Attachment: 2013-08-17_073407_agreement_3.pdf

Attachment: 2013-08-17_073520_agreement_4.pdf

Attachment: 2013-08-17_073627_agreement_1.pdf


I am under 18 years of age. I am going to be 18 years old in December, 2013. As of when I signed the agreement in May, 2013 I was under 18 years of age.


I (Labake) was the one that signed the contract and the agent did not ask me to provide a guarantor or witness to the agreement.


The accommodation is a room in private property for students in Swansea, Wales, UK.


I paid a bond of GBP400 against damages and GBP100 registration fee in addition to the initial rent covering July-August, 2013 (2 months). My next monthly rent is due in September, 2013 but I want to opt out because my parents objected to the accommodation after seeing it online.











I will answer at 10 a m

Customer: replied 4 years ago.



If you are under 18 years of age and it was only you find a tenancy agreement then you should be able to argue that it is un enforceable.

This is because people under 18 years of age are not permitted to hold tenancy agreement, so if they are not signed by someone else and held on trust for them the day should not be legally binding.

You will see that this is confirmed here:

See "renting accommodation" on the above link for confirmation.

Provided that it was you who signed the tenancy agreement then you will be fine. If they were to see you you would have an absolute defence.

If this is useful please kindly click accept and rate my answer as okay service or above if you do not then I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

Kind regards


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you