How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7618
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my solicitor has lost my declaration of trust how do l prove

This answer was rated:

my solicitor has lost my declaration of trust how do l prove l own the house

Who is named on the registered title for the property in question please?

Do either you or your solicitor have a copy of the Declaration?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my parents as no 1

me as no2 restriction except under an order of the registrar no disposition by the proprietor of the land to be registered without the consent of me ///


no copys of deeds


Sorry. I need you to be a bit clearer.

The "Registered Propreitors" on the registered legal title are the legal owners of the property.

Are you a registered propreitor, along with your parents?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my parents as registered proprietors me as no2 with restriction in my favor


Do your parents dispute that you have an interest in the property under the declaration of trust?

Did either you or your solicitor keep a copy of the declaration of trust?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

my father passed away and my mother is in a care home


l paid for the home ex conucil while at home

on property register

my parents are named as entry no 1

l am mamed as entry no 2 with restriction in my favor

have letters saying all this which are copys

all paper works missing at solicitors since they has gone computerised


thank you your info


Thanks for your patience.

I will assume that your parents are named as registered propreitors and that you are the beneficiary of a declaration of trust in which it is stated that you have an interest in the property

If there is a restriction in your favour then it does suggest that you had an interest in the property. That should be the first thing that you say to the council if they ask about care home fees.

They will only be able to take action in respect of your interest in the property.

If your solicitor kept the original of the declaration but this has been lost then you will likely have a claim against your solicitor if this is not sorted out.

You should both check again for any copies, perhaps also checking your parents documents. You shold ask the solicitor what they propose to do about it.

If no copies of the declaration can be found then you, the solicitor and your mother (if she is able) will have to draft and execute statutory declarations confirming that the declaration of trust was drafted, executed, stored and registered against the registered title. This is a sworn statement under law. It would also state the details of the declaration of trust and what percentage you own.

You would then have to produce it to the local authority and hope that they acknowledge the extent of your interest. If they do, then they will be frustrated from claiming against your share and it will be protected.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you