How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 22620
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in a gated secure property and have received a 48 hr

This answer was rated:

I live in a gated secure property and have received a 48 hr notice from a hceo officer.
I have been advised to go bankrupt due to not having funds to paty the debt
What are the rules regards XXXXX XXXXX can i go to court tomorrow and declare myself bankrupt

Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name isXXXXX and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.



Can we have the full background to the question please?


do you own a house that you live in?


u I will be off-line shortly until tomorrow but will pick this up then

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am a sole trader business and we used an hotel in bristol for lodging for our employees.

We have lost alot of money on a project and i have been advised due to being a sole trader to go bankrupt

My property( my name only) has three charges against it so no equity.

Debt is £25k and i have no money to pay

Father is paying my mortgage for along as it takes to get through bankrupcy if i need to do that tomorrow/friday

I ceased trading in the business in may 2013 due to debts

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
You are faced with filing bankruptcy petition at the local County Court. There is no reason why you cannot complete it tomorrow and file it tomorrow. There will have to be a hearing but you can give a copy of the application to the HCEO and the chances are that you will not hear from them again. Not all County Court to deal with bankruptcy so do ring the court first to make sure that it is the correct court because you may need to visit a slightly different one. Before doing that, unless you have already done so, you might want to see an insolvency practitioner. If your mortgage is up-to-date, you will be advised to stop paying it because it will be three or four months before possession proceedings happen

Here is a useful guide from the insolvency service.

Does that answer the question?

I am off-line shortly until tomorrow and will pick this up then.

The Does that answer the question? Can I help further? Can I answer any specific points?
If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.
The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my answer service.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have been told that i will keep my house as there is no equity in the property.

Why then will i have it reposessed?

My payments are being made by my father and the official receiver has no equity so why ?


In which case, you do need to keep repaying the mortgage or arranging to have it repaid. I didn't know whether you wanted to keep it and keep the liability or not because you didn't say.
Stuart J and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you