How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7609
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a spouse to an EU National but we are going through a

This answer was rated:

I am a spouse to an EU National but we are going through a tough time in our marriage.She have moved out of the house and i haven't been able to get in touch for a couple of months now. We have been married since September 2010. I planned traveling to Nigeria in December. I am worried if i will not be allowed back into the country

Have you obtained a Residence Card confirming your right to stay in the UK for 5 years?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your patience.

If you are planning to visit Nigeria for a short visit then provided that you have a residence card you should probably be okay provided that they are not already aware that you are separated.

If you are travelling on your own then it’s possible that they might pull you in for questioning to establish why you are travelling on your own. However, they may simply let you through on the basis of the residence card. It’s fifty, fity, really.

However, under questioning you should state that you remain married to your spouse and that she did not want to travel with your Nigeria. If they ask about the state of your relationship then it’s important that you do not deceive them. You can state that you have separated temporarily but that you hope to reconcile.

Additionally by the time that you return you will have been married for a period of three years and probably qualify to make an application to retain your treaty rights even if divorce proceedings were actually issued. Confirmation here:-

Please refer to 5.4.2 on the above link for confirmation of this.

So you would also be able to argue that even if divorce proeedings had been issued (hopefuly they won’t have been by the time) then you would be able to apply to retain your treaty rights and therefore should be admitted entry.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you