How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70414
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was fined at Magistrates Court the sum of £13,000 inc. costs.

This answer was rated:

I was fined at Magistrates Court the sum of £13,000 inc. costs. This was for a breach of fire regulations by a company of which I was a director. There was no fire. I was not responsible for the premises other than as a director of the company that ran them.
By the time of the trial the company had ceased to trade and I was working as, and still am, waiter manager for a new employer.
Since that time I have got married
I have made regular payments which I can hardly afford and which are creating cash flow difficulties of £300.00 per month
I missed the June payment and sent it mid July. I had no communication from the payment office until a week ago when I was told that they had received my payment but that my case had been passed to Bailiffs.
Is there anything I can do. Can I get either the fine reduced or the repayments lowered How can I stop the bailiffs putting a charge on my goods etc

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

You cannot get the fine lowered now as you are out of time to appeal.

However, you can go back down to the magistrates court and ask them to reassess the payment amounts in the light of your change of circumstances.

They do write fines off sometimes but those are mostly for men who go to prison or women who come to court whining and moaning about child care responsibilities which are ultimately entirely of their own creation. Unfortunately there is still a good deal of sexism which some women exploit. It doesn't assist proper people like you with real jobs and responsibilities

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you that is very helpful. Do I have to fill in any special form or do I ring or write a letter

Thanks again

No, you can just attend court.

Its a good idea to phone in advance as they may have quieter dates than others.
Jo C. and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you