UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

Our neighbour from hell and her ex-flatmate ruined my life,

marriage and put me on...
Our neighbour from hell and her ex-flatmate ruined my life, marriage and put me on anti-anxiety meds for four years now. We took her to CCJ and won for unpaid sums, then to LVT and the decision was in our favour. She has called the police trying to get my husband arrested or confronting her about breaches. Now with her boyfriend moving in, butter wouldnt melt in her mouth. She has tried calling RSPCA to report my dogs, council to complain about them. I want to sue her. We have log enties the police asked us to keep over the years, audio, video recording, cctv put up. She has been a nuisance. How do i go about it?
7/27/2013
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What are you hoping to sue for?
Compensation and buy her out. I forgot - the two girls got harassment prevention orders against us. We got one for neighbour too. It has been tit for tat. I want her out.
Is she living in council accommodation ?
No we are in mid-terraced flats. Very posh well dressed woman but with psychological problems. We own freehold completely and our leasehold. She has the leasehold for her flat. We tried to implement the lease and she came down on us like a ton of bricks.
Thanks for the information.

I'm afraid there is no prospect of getting her evicted. She is not a tenant. You cannot evict a home owner.

You could report her for harassment. It would be irresponsible of me to tell you that isn't a very high test but it can be done. The police are generally reluctant to bring prosecutions on this basis.

A much better option is to consider a civil action in harassment. You will find a very interesting article on the point here

http://www.1itl.com/news/270/

Its much cheaper and has a lower standard of proof.

However, you will need to show there are at least two false reports although not necessarily both to the police - one to the police and one to your employer may be sufficient.

You should also bear in mind that you will have to be able to show the allegation is false. Its one thing to be able to show that nobody believed it and another to be able to show it is false.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

thank you so much for the advice and help. i will get on the job.

No problem.

All the best.

hello again,

i dont know where to begin. would you happen to know anyone who can possibly guide me through the suing in county court for vexatious allegations? i am happy to pay. i need to know what i should start compiling.

thanks.

priya

It depends where you are in the uk really.

You could try here

Www.1itl.com

Or

Www.5pumpcourt.co.uk

i am based in london, nw10

Both of those chambers would cover public access work in London.
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister