Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
29905560

Hi Ben. Following on from my last question. Suppose they were

Hi Ben. Following on from my last question. Suppose they were to sue me and win, prior to this event is there anything I could do to mitigate loss e.g. transfer ownership of assets etc to friends, or would this be deemed as a no-no? Thanks

Ben Jones :

Hello again, what assets do you have and how much do you think the value of their claim would be?

Customer:

I have about £30k in my house and that's about it. They are trying to sue me for £212k

Ben Jones :

There are rules about transferring assets prior to divorce or bankruptcy proceedings where it is evident that your intentions were to try and place these assets beyond the reach of creditors or your spouse. However, in 'ordinary' court cases these restrictions would not apply so it is possible to transfer ownership to others now, especially if no legal action has commenced.

Customer:

thanks Ben