How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Police served a warrant at my office took all my paperwork

Customer Question

Police served a warrant at my office took all my paperwork and laptops refused to leave a copy of warrant and also refused to leave a receipt is this legal? If no charges have been made how long can they keep my paperwork as it is vital to the day today running of my business?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Were you arrested?

What offence are they investigating?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No arrest they didn't even close my office they just took everything they could get their hands no care for what was taken the warrant said I had induced people by making payment to them then using their personal details with out their knowledge and claiming for housing benefit in there names for my properties. I am a landlord and letting agent.
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the additional information. The police are entitled to seize any material which might be relevant to the investigation and must keep a record of all the items in a premises search record or exhibits book, but there is no obligation to give you a list or receipt there and then. However, you are entitled to ask for a list of the property seized. If anything has been taken which is unrelated to the investigation then police must return it otherwise you could make an application under the Police (Property) Act 1897.
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.

I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes