UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

Hi, I was pulled off fir driving with expired licence and

Hi, I was pulled off fir...

I was pulled off fir driving with expired licence and my car mot was also expired.
How can I get my car back from police car impound?
Can i ask my friend to get temporarily insurance for my car?
How can i prepare for expired mot?

Please help... Very desperate...
7/9/2013
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Hi

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Will the DVLA not issue you a new licence? Or not quickly enough?
I havent contacted to dvla yet.
But I guess it takes longer.
Ok. Thanks. I just need 10 mins to type out an answer if thats ok?

Ok! I wiill be waiting!!
Thanks for your patience and sorry for the delay. I'm on the ipad and its so slow,

The police will not release the car unless they are satisfied that it will be kept lawfully. That doesn't just mean being road legal to drive from the station but also to be kept afterwards.

Your friend can take out temporary insurance. It is not quite that simple anymore because the police have an obligation to ensure that vehicles are continuously insured. In this circumstance though they will have to think outside the box.

You will find a suitable compnay here

http://www.quentinjonesinsurance.co.uk/impounded-car-insurance/

But there are many others.

You can drive lawfully an unMOTed car to a pre booked appointment with a garage for an MOT to be done.

You can recover your licence by reapplying and paying the fee. Expired licences are easy to recover.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

I have contacted the insurance company you gave but they only give insurance to the owner of the vehicle.

I would be happy if you can give another lists of insurance company that I can get some help.

That is a matter of their policy and a view they are entitled to take.

There are other alternatives here

http://www.impoundedinsurance.co.uk/impounded-car-insurance.html

Or

http://www.insurancechoice.co.uk/impounded-car-insurance

Or

http://www.impounded-cars.co.uk/

Im so fed up and sick of how police is doing now.I was refused for my insurance would be invalid.So i contacted the insurance company which you gave and they told me it is not possible to get insurance to third party.They only give insurance only to the car owner.So i transferred my ownership to my friend and got insured.Today i went to car pound and they told me it is unable to transfer ownership when vehicle is impounded.And they asked me to bring full v5 log book.What a non sense!!Everything goes to the begining!!If my friend bring original v5 log book, are they going to release my car?What can i do further??
You didn't ask about the V5 originally but surely you would have that document?

I'm happy to continue with this but please rate my answer.
Hi jo,

Thank you.

I actually sent another part of v5 to dvla to change ownership.
Before send it i scanned and gave it to my friend but it was refused as well.
They required original copy.
I might be able to find it at home if my friend didnt send it to dvla yet.
Failing that you would have to apply for a copy.

The DVLA will tell you that its up to 6 weeks but they will normally do it within 10 days.
I have original v5 which has not been sent yet.
Does this help?
Yes, if you have the v5 documents then you can prove ownership which will be their concern.

The insurance is the last problem.
As I am the registered keeper, no insurance company give insurance to the third party who is going to drive my car back from police car pound.

Can you please find any other insurance company which can help my situations??

Its not really something I can predict.

You can only contact impound insurers. I know that some of the ones above will sometimes cover third parties. If they won't in your specific situation then that is a position they are entitled to take but its not something I will know about as down to your particular application.

I can find some other impound insurers but I can't guarantee they will cover you?

Hi Jo,

I have tried all insurer you gave but failed.

Please give me another list of insurer.

I will try them all.

Thanks!

I'll have a look now. Back in about 10 mins
You could try here

http://www.impoundedcarinsurances.co.uk/impounded-car-insurances.html

Or here

http://www.alternativeinsurancebrokers.co.uk/car-insurance/short-term-car-insurance/

Or maybe

http://www.carinsuranceforoneday.co.uk/how-cars-get-impounded.html

I don't know why they are refusing to insure you. People get third parties insured to drive cars from impounds all teh time. Maybe you could ask what their objection is?
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister