How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 70292
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A notice of seizure letter has arrived for someone who has

This answer was rated:

A notice of seizure letter has arrived for someone who has not lived here in five years and is now working in Dubai. How can I prove this and will my address for credit be affected?
In the last 5 years we have received no mail whatsoever for him and this came as a bolt from the blue. I opened the envelope, as the householder who knew him.
I have no means of contacting him anymore.
The letter is from Newlyn and the amount is 185.00 pounds.
Thanks, Carolyn.

Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there Jo.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What do I do if bailiffs come for goods for a non existent person? We have good credit and we do not want to stop that.


You can write to the bailiffs explaining the position. Most likely they will not just accept without further investigation that he is no longer there unfortunately.

If they do attend though, you just refuse to let them in and explain he doesn't live there. They cannot break in unless you let them in. They can enter through open doors and windows but you can deal with that by ensuring that you do not leave the house insecure. Even if they do gain access though, they still cannot take anything that doesnt belong to him so its all not really your problem.

This will not impact on your credit rating. The endebted house is a complete myth. The only way this could have any impact is if he is recorded on your credit rating as an associate person and even then you can serve a notice of disassociation.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX am 61 and dad is 87 and the thought of all the stress is alarming. How weird there were no previous letters to my address.

Yes, it isn't the first time they've done that but you can still manage the situation. You are not liable for his debt.