How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jenny Mackenzie Your Own Question
Jenny Mackenzie
Jenny Mackenzie,
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 6307
Experience:  Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jenny Mackenzie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At the moment i run my own service business and started advertising

This answer was rated:

At the moment i run my own service business and started advertising with a directory company (BT), I booked up advertising and agreed a payment flow for 10 months. Payment, I then started my payments.I then decideded too increased more advertising with the same company and the changed my mind after a week, i sent a email too the company wishing too cancel no answer. This happened over the December period last year. i then recieved copys off the directory books with my advert in it and the wrong phone numbers 8 off them? (differant area books) After sending 10 emails i recieved a answer. i was told i could not cancel. i have stopped paying until i have a sattisfactory soultion.

This has fallen on deaf ears, debit managment company is know involved and they have sent me a letter telling me to pay the whole amount in 7 days and increased the debit by 15% (£585) for administration charges. i then sent another letter too the debit management company explainning why there is a problem and have offered too pay a monthly payment on the correct amount.

I then recieved a letter from the debit management company explainning that they will put the account on hold for a limted time untill a investigation takes place, a week later i then get another letter explaining that the charges have increased again by a futher 15%(£895) for more admin fees

My question too you can they do this.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer,
Did the contract with them include the right to cancel, if so during what period and was a period of notice required?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes 14 days it seems but it was not clear as it was a electronic contract.

and did you try to cancel within the 14 days? If so did you do so orally or in writing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i tryed phoneing but got no wear left a message on there answering service backed up by 3 emails.

Ok thank you, XXXXX XXXXX tell me if it was the entire contract you tried to cancel within the 14 days or whether it was the additonal services?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This was only additonal services only i tryed too cancel

Ok thanks so is the dispute over the additonal amount not the entire contract?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes i found that the advertising wasn't working and did not want too waste any more money.

Ok thank you.

If you have cancelled the additional services in accordance with the 14 day cooling off period in the contract then the company have no right to charge you for the service or for any additional handling/ transaction fees.

I would suggest you write to them and to the Debt handling companies enlosing copies of the emails and a note of the telephone conversation and ask them to refrain from contacting you any further regarding the debt.

You should state that if they do decide to take them matter forward by bringing a court claim you will vigorously defend the claim and will claim a cost award in connection with your considerable expenses (in particular time wasted dealing with the matter).

Hopefully this will lead them to drop the matter and to stop contacting you in connection with the additional services.

If you have any further questions please ask. If I have answered your question I would be grateful if you would give my answer a positive rating. Thank you and all the best.
Jenny Mackenzie and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you