UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

Hi, Im a refugee in UK and I received my refugee status in

Hi, I'm a refugee in...
Hi, I'm a refugee in UK and I received my refugee status in 2010, hwever the day f date of birth was wrong by one day, I sent the BRP to home office with my certified copy of my birth certificate and a compeleted form for Travel document, I recieved the travel document with correct dob, but the BRP DOB remaind unchange.
I sent the BRP to home office again for correction and I didn't hear from them since.
I contact home office via my borough MP assistance and Home office said to him that they don't have any trace of my BRP that I sent!
what should I do now?
7/8/2013
UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
Hi thank you for your question. Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE.

What method did you use to send your BRP to the home office? Was it visa special for recorded delivery?

Kind regards

It was normal recorded delivery and I do have the delivery number, but it was abut 2 years ago

Thank you for your reply.

It is not unheard of that the home office have lost a BRP or other documents before, unfortunately it is something that does happened, as the home office is a big organisation.

The fact that you have sent it recorded delivery you should have a tracing number on it receipt you received from the Post office, this should have when entered into the website for royal mail given you the time it was delivered and the person who signed for it.

Unfortunately because of the time that has now passed since you originally sent your BRP, it is safe to say that this is now lost.

If your biometric residence permit is lost or stolen, inside or outside the UK, you must report the loss or theft to the home office as soon as possible by [email protected] so that they can cancel your biometric residence permit. You are required by law to do this. In your email you must state:

o your full name;
o your date of birth;
o your nationality;
o your passport number;
o your biometric residence permit reference number;
o your case reference number;
o your contact details; and
o when, where and how the permit was lost or stolen.

If you do not provide all this information, there may be a delay in answering your query.

You must also report the loss or theft to the police, and get a police report and crime reference number, as soon as possible.

If your biometric residence permit is lost or stolen when you are in the UK, you must apply for another permit within 3 months of reporting the loss or theft of your original permit, using the BRP(RC) form which you can download using the following link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/applicationforms/196971/brpapplication

If you do not apply for a replacement permit, you may have to pay a financial penalty of up to £1,000, or the home office may curtail (shorten) your permission to stay.

I believe that as your BRP is now lost you should follow the above steps as stated and obtain a replacement BRP card.

I hope this answers your question if so kindly rate my answer positively so I can get credited for my time. If however you feel that the answer does not cover all the points raised in your question please DO NOT rate my answer negatively I will be happy to answer further question until you are satisfied with my answer.

Kind regards

I did send them an email on the email you stated above for its lost

I did go to police station for reporting the lost of my document, however they said they can not give me a crime reference number for that as it did not lost in street, it lost in Home Office and no crime has happened there fore they can not gie me crime reference number.!

what should I do now?

Thank you for your reply.

In this case then you need to apply for a replacement BRP using the link I provided above, you also need to state everything you have mentioned her regarding the BRP being lost be the Home Office and enclosing a copy of their letter/email stating that they have not received the BRP and also evidence of you submitting the BRP by recorded delivery.

In regards XXXXX XXXXX crime reference number, you need to explain this to the home office and state that you are unable to obtain one due to the BRP being misplaced by the Home Office.

Kind regards

thank you for reply, I have to mention that my solicitor sent my BRP to the Home Office, she closed my case after that and she left the company.

so I don't have evidence of sending it to HO, however she sent many notifications to HO regarding to that, is that enough as evidence ?

secondly, my problem became double as mt Date of Birth is wrong in the BRP!

it should be 10.12.1993 but its 11.12.1993

anyways, as they have putted the correct one in my travel document can I assume that they have the correct Dob in their system?

should I write the correct Dob in the replacement form? or the original incorrect one ( as they may didn't correct my dob) ?

Thank you for your reply.

In respect of evidencing the fact that you sent your BRP then, this should be sent with your new application for a BRP. In addition everything you have done up to submitting the new application should be sent, ie emails to the home office etc.

You should mention your correct date of birth and explain that the only reason you sent your BRP back to the home office was to get this amended, you should then include evidence that this is your real date of birth and send this along with your new BRP application.

You should have a letter explaining what steps you have taken ie since 2010 to get your BRP rectified so the immigration office knows all the background before issuing a new BRP.

Kind regards

In the replacement for there is still a place said : " you must write the crime reference number" should I get official explanation from police and what they said about the lost?

Thank you for your reply.

If you are able to then yes, the reason I did not state that you should get an explanation in regards XXXXX XXXXX the Police did not provide a reference number is XXXXX most Police stations do not provide a letter, but if you are able to do so then yes please do submit the letter as part of your application for the BRP.

If you are unable to obtain a letter then write a letter as mentioned explaining why the Police refused to issue you with a crime reference number.

Kind regards
UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor
UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer
UK_Lawyer, Solicitor