How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi I wish to find out an old mortgage number I have a

This answer was rated:


I wish to find out an old mortgage number

I have a copy of deeds and security in favour of halifax

Mortgage taken out in 1998

Any ideas - bank apparently cant findmy details on their system

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Do you own the property?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not now. It was sold 1997

Thank you.

Can you let me have the
background as to why you want to do this because I may be able to assist in a
different way? Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would like to claim back the ppi on it.

Despite having a copy of std security for land registry, hbos want to deny that I ever had any borrowing with them

documentation do you have to confirm that you did indeed have a mortgage with
them? I am not certain what you mean by "standard security for land registry"

Stuart J and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I mean the paperwork that the solicitor uses to give the lender first charge over the property for a mortgage. How do i find out the mortgage number?

Have you
sent them a copy of the mortgage deed?

Did you
write to them or have you been trying to deal with this on the telephone?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have sent them copy of deed. And discharge from deed when house was sold. To my mind its proof they gave me a mtg. But they have said that with passage of time (1996) they no longer have any details and cant proceed without a mtg account number

I accept
fully that this is proof that you had a mortgage with them. What proof do you
have that there was PPI attached to the mortgage?

That is the
important thing.

I can tell
you that although there have been many attempts to get one off the ground,
there is no central record of mortgages, borrowers, lenders or account numbers
and if the Halifax records have been destroyed because the mortgage was
discharged 17 years ago, then there is nothing that you, solicitor or even the
court can do about it.

You are
faced therefore with coming up with some proof that there was PPI attached to
the mortgage and of the amount that you paid.

You can
refer this to the Financial Ombudsman on the basis that Halifax are being
obstructive and it would be for the Ombudsman to decide whether they genuinely
have not got these records or not.

I must
admit that I am inclined to think that they are simply saying they are not on
their computer and I do not think they have carried out a search of their old
records. I cannot believe that the Halifax do not have this information. You
could get a solicitor to threaten an application to court for pre-action
disclosure that if they genuinely do not have these records, there is nothing
that you can do or the court can do, as I said earlier.

It would be
worth speaking to this firm,

who have a
specialise in PPI claims. We are not allowed to recommend firms on here but I
do have experience of using them. Speak to Shirley Shacklady and mentioned that
you came from this site.

Don't use
the contact email because my understanding is that it does not work or is
unreliable. Pick up the phone. The telephone call will only cost you the price
of the phone call which is a local rate. They will not charge you for giving
the advice and would probably take this on for you. If it is not one that they
would take on (bear in mind that if they do not recover anything, they do not
get paid) than it is one of those that I am sorry, but you are probably going
to have to write-off.

The thread
does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions.

I am
offline shortly until later and will pick this up then if needed.