How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alice H Your Own Question
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 2850
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Alice H is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello,I received a conviction of 6 months imprisonment

This answer was rated:

Hello, I received a conviction of 6 months imprisonment suspended for 18 months, the date of conviction was 16/08/2005.



Further to this I received a conditional discharge for 12 months for a separate offence on the 27/06/06


According to the research i have done the first should now be spent (spent after 7 years if sentenced 6 months or less?).


However it has appeared on a Disclosure Scotland Check. Could you confirm if the disclosure is incorrect please. Kind Regards,

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

You are right about the rehabilitation period.

After 7 years the conviction is 'spent'.

But this does not mean the conviction is wiped from a persons criminal record.

The conviction will remain on the record for life.

The effect of a spent conviction is that it is not discloseable and should not be held against you except in limited circumstances, for example, Court proceedings.

The fact that the conviction appears on the check is not a mistake.

Alice H and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you