UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

I was acquitted following a malicious allegation by a work

I was acquitted following a...

I was acquitted following a malicious allegation by a work colleague in crown court. Can I use the prosecution and defence MG11 statements as evidence in my grievance against them...

6/13/2013
James Mather

Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High
Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008.
During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions
from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other
users, I might not always respond in
minutes
, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that
case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me
while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to
advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer
would not be accurate.

Can we have background and to the grievance please?

I was charged, went to crown court and acquitted. Can I use the MG11 statements (defence and prosecution) in my grievance as evidence against the individual who fabricated the allegation. It is not the allegation thats my concern, it is the the use of the MG11 out side the court and police environment. Is it still restricted or privileged.

That doesn't assist. I need full background to the case and grievance please

As it is a public forum, I don't wish to discuss the case..... sorry. The grievance is he lied, evidence was produced in court, the Jury saw the evidence and I was acquitted. The MG11 states the accusation, I wish to produce the MG11 as evidence to show he said it and the accusation.

Sorry for being vague but does the charge have any bearing on me producing the MG11 as evidence in a grievance....

Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

The MG11 is a witness statement and as such is one source of evidence in a case.

You can rely on the statements to support any complaint or grievance.

There is no restriction on statements being used for a legal purpose.

Alex

Hi Alex,

Just to clarify... I can produce the MG11 as evidence in my work grievance and if needed give a copy as evidence with no recourse from the police.

The "MG11" is a witness statement which is set out in a format under s.9 Criminal Justice Act 1967 and in accordance with the Criminal Procedure Rules. They are not unique to the police - the format is used extensively by the police and defence.

The statements are not the property of the police. So long as you came by them legally and they do not contain any sensitive information (e.g. evidence of sex crimes, details of children) you intend to use them for a legal purpose then you cannot be prevented from relying on the statements.

Alex

Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Alice H
Alice H
Alice H, Solicitor/Partner