UK Law

Get UK Law Questions Answered by Verified Experts

UK Law

Hi, We married in India over 29 years ago. our fathers

Hi, We...
We married in India over 29 years ago. our fathers gave our rough ages when our marriage certificate was made. our ages are wrong that to our passports. I have been living in the uk since 1972 and my wife since 1987
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/11/2013
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer

Where were you born?

Are you a British Citizen?

If so, how did you obtain UK citizenship please?

Tom

I was born in India . I am a British Citizen. When I applied for British nationality in 1988 I was told I was a British national before the nationality act came in in 1981

Are the dates of birth of you and your wife incorrect on your passports?

Are the dates of birth of you and your wife incorrect on your birth certificates?

Tom

My wife was born in India. Her father is saying he does not registering her birth so she does not have a birth certificate. Her date of birth on her passport is from the school registration. I have my birth certificate and it is correct.

In your wife's case, how do you know her correct date of birth if she does not have a birth certificate?

Tom

my date of birth is correct on my birth certificate. but my wife has not got a birth certificate because it was long time ago and her father is saying her birth was not registered.

Yes, but how do you know what the correct date of birth for your wife actually is?

Her father is saying the passport was made with the dob from her school registration.

Yes, but if you believe this to be incorrect then this must be because you know her correct date of birth.

How do you know her CORRECT date of birth?

The date on her passport is used on every document but is not correct on our marriage certificate

Hi

Thanks for your patience.

Your original question seems to indicate that the dates of birth for both you and your wife are incorrect on your passports. I assume you mean UK passports.
If your birth certificate is correct then it is fairly clear about what you have to do. You have to attend a solicitor specialising in immigration or nationality issues for a consultation. You have to take all the evidence that you have which refers to your date of birth
If your birth certificaite is correct then you will probably have to execute a sworn Statutory Declaration in which you explain the position, your correct date of birth on your birth certificate and the incorrect date of birth on your passport. You will have to assert that this has simply arisen as a result of your innocent oversight and that by applying for, obtaining and presumably also renewing your passport with the incorrect date of birth that you have not intentionally deceived the passport office.

When you come to apply for a further passport you should submit the statutory declaration and ask that your correct date of birth is put on your passport. The passport office will come back to you with any further enquiries that they may have but once you have replied to these you should be issued with a new passport correctly stating your date of birth.

I am frankly not sure what you are saying about your wife. If the correct date of birth is shown on her passport then it’s not an issue. If the incorrect date of birth is shown on her passport then the situation is much the same as yours but in order to convince the UKBA to change her date of birth you will need at least some kind of documentary evidence as to the correct date of birth,.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom

Sir,

The question was our on our MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE are wrong not the passports.

Sorry, I assumed that because your dates of birth were incorrect in your marriage certificate and because you wrote "our ages are wrong that to our passports" that you were referring to your UK passports then also subsequently being wrong.

If your dates of birth are incorrect in your India marriage certificate then the only authority that can reissue your marraige certificate will be based in India. There is nothing that a UK registry can do about a certificate issued in another country.

You will have to refer to the registry authority in India to see if the marriage certificaite can be amended. Frankly, I doubt that it would but you should take advice from a lawyer based in India on this.

Please remember to rate my answer.

Tom
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Thomas
Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer