How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7617
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I would like to ask about applying for immigration

This answer was rated:


I would like to ask about applying for immigration visa to UK.
My wife and 2 kids are British citizens while I'dont have the British citizenship. We are currently living in another country and we are planning to go and settle in UK. I have quite a good saving the meets the requirements.
I would like to know if my wife can be considered as my sponsor in UK although she does not live there nor has a permanent address there.
How best I should go about this matter when filling the application.

Thank you

Thanks for your patience.

The requirement is taken to mean that the UK spouse on which you are relying to apply for your sponsor is either settled in the UK or is eligible to do so. Your wife and children as UK citizens are obviously eligible to do so, so it won’t be a problem.

You should explain what is happening in your statements that you submit with the application. Your wife should also execute a sworn statement confirming the circumstances of you all coming to the UK and referring to the fact that she is entitled to do so.

The UKBA will realise what is happening, they get this all the time. Provided your wife’s proves her citizenship by producing her passport to them and confirms that she intends to settle permanently with you by returning either before or at the same time as you then this will not hold you back

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So I can submit sponsor details as being my wife and enter UK without securing a Job before traveling and can look for one while being there.

Also can you elaborate more about the statement I have to submit as I don't know about it and about the sworn statement that my wife should submit as well. Thanks


You cannot travel to the united kingdom before your wife. You can only travel to the united kingdom what's your spouse visa has been granted and even then you must travel with your wife.

Once you are in the united kingdom you can look for work straight away.

It is not technically a requirement for you or your wife to submit a sworn statement with your application. However generally it does tend to clarify matters in the best possible way and so I would urge you to submit a sworn statement clarifying anything which you consider is still somewhat on claire from the information that you have been asked about in the application form.

The best possible advice that I could give you would be to instruct a solicitor to prepare the application on your behalf. It will be worth it. If you submitted it on your own then you may make some small oversight which may mean that the application will be with rejected. This would force you to incur the expense of appealing an application I'm spending more money on it then you would have originally instructing a solicitor..

Please remember to rate my answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom,


Sorry didn't notice this is still open.

Btw, do you recommend a solicitor to help me with the application and does he/she have to be in the same country I am in right now?



The application is complicated and demanding, so I'd instruct a solicitor.

You can instruct a solicitor based in the UK from where you are, you just might need an attorney where you are to certify your ID for you.