How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

TOM Graham I am a Polish national working and studying in

Resolved Question:

TOM Graham

I am a Polish national working and studying in the UK since 2009, I met a guy in the UK he was here to visit his family we got in relationship, and we keep on touch on Skype, I know him for about 19 months now! We met few times physically! We want to merry within the coming year! Can you advise me if I have to go to his home country to merry or he can come to merry in the UK? Can he apply for a marriage visa as I am polish?can he apply for the 6 months EEA family permit to come2 UK
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

What nationality is he please?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Jordanian, his family are British. He usually comes on family visit visas. Can we get married while he is in the UK on family visit and they he switch to EEA resident permit?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

Technically if he is on a visitor’s visa then he should not really marry whilst he is here, however you do not meet the length of time required for him to apply for an unmarried partner EEA permit for him to travel here.

The reality is that there is no restriction on the registry actually marrying you in the UK even though a visitor’s visa is simply for visit purposes.

He would thereafter have to switch to a family permit and then residence card on the basis that he is the non-eea spouse of an eea national.

He may have some initial difficulty doing this because of the visit visa, but provided that you can prove your marriage is genuine and credible he should still get the family permit/residence card .

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, by the time we will apply we will be together for 2 years. Can he apply for EEA family permit on the basis of unmarried couple and we marry here in the UK?

Is the chances for refusal of EEA family permit high? Even if we submit all the supporting evidence of our relationship?
My friend told me EEA family permit is easier than me being a british as immigration officer doesn't have huge power! Is it correct?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Generally, the requirement under me in a wills is that you generally must have lived together for a period of two years. Some exceptions are occasionally allowed. However if you have only met a handful of times I would say that it is more likely your application would be rejected.

It is easier for EEA nationals but you still have to convince the united kingdom border agency of the genuine and credible relationship that you have with him. If your relationship has been based mostly on skype this is obviously a bit of a difficulty but it may still be worth a go. If you are married then obviously this reinforces the strength of the relationship.

Please rate my answer

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If I go to Jordan and we marry there, while his visit visa still valid, can he come with me to the uK and switch within the UK? If switching allowed then what the border agency will issue him and what's the validity?

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

If you marry outside the UK then he should apply for a EEA family permit before he travels with you. Once he has this he can enter the UK with you and work without restrictions.

Please rate my answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is it easy to get the EEA family permit after getting married?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
Yes, absolutely but you still have to show that the marriage is not simply for convenience.

I have certainly answered your question now. Please rate my answer.

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you