How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 22620
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Type your question here.a notice of seizure,was left outside

This answer was rated:

Type your question here.a notice of seizure,was left outside my premises,which was picked up by a member of the public,then passed onto a friend of mine for my attention,firstly no prior demands where made for this outstanding problem where recieved by myself,the proplem,which was contested by me from the start,was contested in the begining,i never heard anything from the court etc,.until this notice was left outside my premises.thank you.
Hello, I am Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor in a High Street practice. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects. Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes. Please bear with me in that case

It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me while I gather some further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully.

Unless I have all the facts that I need, my answer would not be accurate.

Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

how can i stop this action untill i get a reply from the county court who dealt with this case in the first rating on the service up to know is excellent service thank you.

What is the seizure in respect of? We need full background please. Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

in 2007 a rating advisory firm cold called me offering to get a reduction in my buisenes rates,for a fee,they never carried out any sort of survey at my premises,just applied for a rate reduction,which was approved,when i recieved there invoice,i wasnt happy with the service provided,i was told they should of carried out a full survey to get the best reduction for my premises,i contested the fee,next thing i got a summons from northampton county court,i replied back to the court,contesting the amount,never heard nothing back untill,this notice was left in the carpark of my premises tonight.

So you got a rate reduction but didn't pay the bill because you thought they didn't get it reduced enough?

Did you submit a formal defence to the court?

How much money do you owe? When did this go to court?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i got a reduction yes,but another rating advisory firm told me they should of done a full survey of my premises,which they did not,therefore i did not get a proper assetment of my premises,when i replied back to the court iobjected to the amount,i offered a to pay a reduced amount,therfore i waited for the courts response to my offer,i never recieved any sort of reply from the court,therfore i took it the matter was resolved by the court,until this notice tonight,the original owed was £900,the debt now whith cost etc,. is£1908.38p,the original court date was back in2010 i think,i sent everthing back to the court.i have not recieved anything from the court,untill this visit tonight

You need to contact the court
urgently to find out exactly what orders there are outstanding against you

It appears that back in 2010
judgement was made against you because you did not submit a formal defence.

There is a judgement against you
for £1908 and 38p and now, the claimant has sent bailiffs round to seize goods
to that value.

You need to make an urgent
application to set aside the order for bailiffs to come round and make an
arrangement to pay the debt.

Because the original debt is
three years old it is most unlikely that you could make an application to court
to get the judgement set aside in order to defend it because of the time lapse.

I'm sorry, I appreciate that this
is not the answer you wanted but it appears, from the fact she will have given
me, that you did not submit a defence in the correct format and therefore
judgement was given in default to the claimant although if the original debt
was only £900 I am not certain how it is risen to £1908 and 38p.

At this stage, I am unable to
advise you any further, because I know no more about the history of this than
you do

Stuart J and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok thank you for your advice,i think the problem lies with northampton county court,i responded in the first instance to them,but recieved nothing from them,inreply,therefore i thought the matter was dealt with by them,untill this thing turned up last night,i am more ashamed and annoyed that this letter was left,in the carpark of my premises,so a member of the public,found it,read it,then passed it on to a friend,resulting in local people knowing about this,surely this is not right,i will go and seek advice on this matter.

Provided that there is indeed a court order, there is nothing you
can do about the note being left in the car park and the hens available to the
public because the court order is now in the public domain as part of the court


Northampton County Court is a bulk processing centre dealing with
hundreds of thousands of claims which are then usually passed on to local
courts and it is possible that your documentation simply did not find the
correct recipient.