How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7602
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Capquest and Natwest letters. Hi everyone. I lived in the

Customer Question

Capquest and Natwest letters.

Hi everyone. I lived in the UK from 2000 till about 2008/9. Whilst i was there, i had a student account with an overdraft at Natwest. When i left the UK (around 5 years ago now) i thought i had paid off eveything. Apparently not! CapQuest have been sending threatning letters to my parents house (in Ireland) demanding the money and saying they will take leagl action and contact representatives in my country (i am now living in France). I would like to know what my rights are? How i should go about this? Can they come to Ireland to my parents house?!!! The amount is 850 sterling


Any advice greatly appreciated!
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Did you parents guarantee your overdraft?

Did they sign anything relating to the account?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tom,


No, the account is nothing to do with them. It was a normal student account that i used and paid for. Before i left the uk, i wanted to keep the account open, so i gave my parents postal address as i went travelling around the world.



Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your patience.

If you parents are not guarantors or signatories for the account and it was solely in your name then they can relax. They are not party to the overdraft or the account unless they have executed an agreement saying that they are.

Therefore your creditors will not be able to come after your parent’s house provided that the house is registered in their sole name and not with you on the title for the property.

You probably need to sort this out thought, because doubtless it will be on your credit file. Therefore, you should probably contact them to establish that the debt is properly payable and that the amount is correct. Ask for documentation from them and then work out a payment plan.

Your parents a fine provided that at no point have they signed anything.

I have an inexpected meeting now. If you have further questions I will be able to respond in about 45 mins or so. Sorry.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,