How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7612
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Id like to know what rights a common law partner has

This answer was rated:

I'd like to know what rights a 'common law' partner has when they share a property and pay the mortgage equally, however the mortgage is solely in the other partner's name. Do they have any rights regarding their 'home' in the event that there is a breakdown and the partner either wishes to evict them or sell the property?

Are there any children of the relationship?

Is only the other partner's name on the regsitered title to the property?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No children living with us. My partner has grown up children who live away.

His name only appears on the title.



Did you contribute to the financing when the property was purchased?

Did you contribute more in rent/mortgage repayments than you otherwise would have paid if you were living in your own private rented accommodation?

Did you make capital repayments to pay off significant sums of the mortgage?

Did you pay for/carry out significant improvements to the property which improved the value of the property?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there.


No, I didn't contribute to the initial financing. This was my partner's 'buy to let' of ehich I was not a part.


I'm sure I would have paid more in rent unless I shared a rental property.


Not sure what you mean, but this is a repayment mortgage.


I had a bath put into the property at a cost of £450.


Hope this helps.


Thanks for your patience.

Unmarried partners are at a disadvantage in this area.

Unless you have a written agreement stating how much notice you should receive you would only be entitled receive “reasonable notice” of eviction. This is generally regarded to be between one and two months depending on how long you have lived there.

In order to claim an interest in the property you would have to do so by litigating under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act.

The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/food to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.
If you would have paid more in rented accommodation had you not lived at your partners house than you have done in rent to your partner, did not contribute to the financing of the purchase and have only paid for minor items then I’m afraid that you would not be able advised to pursue a claim against the property.

I am sorry.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you. XXXXX just finish by having one thing clarified; am I right in thinking then, that as a common law partner I have no more rights to the property than, say, a lodger would, unless I'd either; paid capital in initially, made significant improvements which increased saleability or paid more than my partner into the house/household? This third point must only be pertinent to partners, though, surely, because a lot of tenants pay

significantly more towards mortgages in rent (?)


You don't really have any more appreciable rights than a tenant, it is correct to say.

It's not a question of paying in more than your partner. It's question of paying more than you would have if you were in private rented accomodation on your own.

If you were paying to your parner twice the amount that you would have paid if you were living in private rented accomodation then you coudl potentially form the basis of a claim because the excess would amount to a considerable sum over time.

Please rate my answer.

Kind regards

Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you