How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7620
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Property Law question I am guarantor for my friends son,

This answer was rated:

Property Law question

I am guarantor for my friend's son, who lives in England, I live in Scotland. I signed with one letting agents but the property changed hands to another letting agent and I was never formally informed of this.

Her son has now left the property, before he was going to be evicted, and the new company is asking me for money. How do I stand legally with not actually signing papers with this particular company.

Also should I, as guarantor, have been formally informed of an up-coming eviction?

What does the tenancy agreement say about your right to information please?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will have to read that, I can forward it to you if that will help


That might be difficult. Can you just check to see if it puts any obligation on the landlord to inform you and let me know the relevant passge please?

No rush..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can't find the words relevant passage in it at all. Nor anything about landlord obligation to inform me


Who is named as the landord, a private individual or one of the agencies?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The original letting agency was Plsmoveme2 and the new one is called Evolution, which I suspect is a debt collector but I haven't asked

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

details are

Roy xxxxx

Principal Director


xxxx xxxxxx




xxx xxxxx

Tel: xxxxxxx

Fax: xxxxxxx

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Landlord details


Drafting your answer now. 5mins.

Thanks for your patience.

The name that you have pasted an image for appears to be a private individual landlord. This means that they executed the tenancy agreement and simply instruct the agency (whichever one) to deal with the day to day managing of the property.

Unfortunately, this means that the fact that the agency appears to have changed does not affect their ability to claim against you.

You will have to see if the guarantee that you have signed imposes an obligation on the landlord to inform your of any arrears accruing. This must be a responsibility of the landlord, rather than simply an option for it to be of use to you.

If there is no responsibility in the guarantee, and I would mentally prepare for there not being one frankly, then there is no obligation for them to tell you of any arrears since you are generally regarded as being responsible for checking whether you are exposed to any arrears yourself.

I suspect that you are going to be caught by this, sorry to say. They will probably be able to sue you successfully if you do not pay or settle. If you kick up enough fuss you may get the debt reduced a bit because they might not want the headache but they will know ultimately that they can sue you.

I would try writing directly to the landlord (rather than the agent) on the address listed an appeal for compassion. They might be more understanding than the present agency.

Sorry I could not have better news for you.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Thomas

I have already rated you, please correct me if I haven't. I just tried again and it didn't give me that option.

Thank you for all the help. I am currently in negotation with the Letting Agent / Landlord, awaiting a reply from them. Unfortunately you were right and I do have to pay them, however I am in dispute with the substantial amount they are asking for re-decoration (which I wasn't aware of at the time of asking my question)



You've already rated my answer, so don't worry about rating again.

Good luck.