Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I have just been informed by the person whose will was written

I have just been informed by the person whose will was written approximately 2 years ago that I am the executor of the will. I was not asked if I agreed to this. Am I entitled to have a copy of this will before the person dies. She seems reluctant to make it available...How can I go about this?
Hi

Thanks for your patience.

I’m afraid that you do not have a right to know the contents of a person’s Will if they are still living. No one does unless the testator agrees, regardless of whether the person is named as executor, beneficiary or not named at all.

This is because you can effectively refuse to be executor, if you are so named, when the person dies. There is no legal obligation for you to actually act as executor when the person dies. If you do not wish to do so then you can execute a renunciation of this role when the person passes away.

You will not be able to compel them to show you the Will if they are not minded to, so you will have to rely on a softly-softly approach if you wish to know further details about it.

Please remember to RATE my answer OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE or above if you are satisfied that you have received the correct legal advice (even if it is not the answer you wanted to hear), otherwise I do not receive any credit for answering your question.

If you are not willing to rate my answer as OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE then allow me to assist further by replying asking what clarification you require rather than rating my answer at levels below.

If you wish for me to provide you with further guidance on any question you may have in the future then please submit a further question to the board requesting me either by my profile or by marking your question. “FAO Tom”.

Kind regards,

Tom